To be able to drink coffee at night without disturbing your sleep is a luxury, and with this specialty coffee (yes specialty coffee) I’ve been able to drink caffeine-free coffee before I go to bed without random interruptions.
It’s actually my second review of a high-quality caffeine-free coffee. But this one is even better than the last. Kafferäven Per Nordby is one of the most accomplished coffee roasters in Sweden, being featured in both subscription boxes KaffeBox and Coffeevine.
The decaffeination process for these beans is as followed (quoted from kafferaven.se):
“Decaffeination process use water from the glaciers of the highest mountain in Mexico, a method called Mountain Water Process. This method allows the green beans to maintain their flavor, as the water passes through a filter that removes the caffeine from the water, so that the water can be re-used with just the bean profiles it originated with. This method is done by DESCAMEX (Descafeinadores Mexicanos).”
First I’ll cup the coffee which means that I’ll try to find different flavors in the coffee. Just to give you as a reader a hint of understanding of what I go through. I’ll also write how to do a cupping. You can read that below:
When I do a cupping I do the following:
1) Grind 11 g coffee in a medium-coarse grind, I’ll remember the coffee’s fragrances now when it is dry to compare with the let grounds later.
2) Pour 180 g of water at a temperature of 93 degrees Celsius.
3) Let it sit for 4 minutes.
4) Stir 3 times and try to find as many scents.
5) Remove all foam that’s formed on the top.
6) Wait for 6 minutes so the coffee cools down and to let the coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, then I’ll take my first slurp with a deep spoon. The idea is that you will spray the coffee inside your mouth. That way you will be able to easily recognize the tones contained in the coffee.
7) Wait for 6 minutes and do the same procedure, the reason behind step 7 is that it’s the most optimal time for tasting coffee. If the coffee is still good after 12-15 minutes, then it is a high-quality coffee!
Chocolate and exotic fruits.
Information and recipe for the coffee:
Variety: Caturra, Cirollo, Bourbon
Producer: Hermilo Sampieri
Region: Huatusco, Veracruz
Altitude: 1 100 masl.
20g coffee coarse grind
300g of filtered water
60g bloom 45 seconds
92 degrees Celsius
1) Pour 60g water for blooming for 45 seconds.
2) 45 seconds in, begin your second pour of 60g of water.
3) 1 minute and 30 seconds in, begin your third pour of 60g of water.
4) 2 minutes and 15 seconds in, begin your fourth pour of 60g of water.
5) 3 minutes in, begin your fifth pour of 60g of water.
6) Stop the dripper at 3 minutes and 30 seconds
*Always rinse the paper filter with filtered hot water, don’t forget to wash the coffee server with clean water afterward, because the taste of the paper might linger.
Sova Räv is so far the best decaffeinated coffee and perhaps this might be the beginning of great caffeine-free coffee. Reading the flavor notes; soft creamy mouthfeel, chocolate & citric. It actually felt spot-on, the weirdest thing is that it actually gave you the feeling of refreshment (in the Swedish it’s written that . Which is weird since it’s caffeine-free.
It has a very chocolate taste to it, it’s probably the strongest of flavors. It’s fresh, however not registered as citrus for me, it’s more of an exotic fruit taste.
Kafferäven Per Nordby is as I wrote above, truly great, they are one of our most famous coffee roasteries in Sweden and this just proves it. I’m very happy to get a very good caffeine-free coffee at last.
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.