Part 2 for The Coffeevine January 18 box, in this post I’ll only write about the coffee from The Underdog. In the previous preview post, you’ve been able to read about the coffee and also what I expect from the coffee. In this part, I’ll share my recipe for an awesome pour-over and Espro travel press as usual.
As I was cupping The Underdog – Yria I was so impressed by the mature strawberry tones that The Underdog themselves wrote during his engagement. It has to be the most accurate connection I encountered … Wow! I also want to know how good this coffee would be for a coffee, so it usually became dark chocolate with sea salt. It was obviously good!
When I do a cupping I do the following:
1) Grind 11 g coffee in a medium-coarse grind, I’ll remember the coffee’s fragrances now when it is dry to compare with the let grounds later.
2) Pour 180 g of water at a temperature of 93 degrees Celsius.
3) Let it sit for 4 minutes.
4) Stir 3 times and try to find as many scents.
5) Remove all foam that’s formed on the top, as shown in the picture below.
6) Wait for 6 minutes so the coffee cools down and to let the coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, then I’ll take my first slurp with a deep spoon. The idea is that you will spray the coffee inside your mouth. That way you will be able to easily recognize the tones contained in the coffee.
7) Wait for 6 minutes and do the same procedure, the reason behind step 7 is that it’s the most optimal time for tasting coffee. If the coffee is still good after 12-15 minutes, then it is a high-quality coffee!
Smell of red berries with an incredibly clear taste of ripe/overripe strawberry.
Information and recipe for the coffee:
Altitude: 2 050 meters above sea level.
17 g coffee (grind setting 17D at Baratza Sette 270, medium)
225 g filtered water
40 g blooming 50 seconds
93 degrees Celsius
1) 40g blooming for 50 seconds, stir with a bamboo stirrer to get all of the coffee wet.
2) 115 g of water in a circular flow (this including 40 g of water blooming). This including 50 seconds of blooming should be on in 1 minute and 45 seconds
3) 110 g of water in a circular route that ends with a flow (approx. 10-15 g) on edge. The total brewing time of 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
Espro Travel Press:
19g coffee (grind setting on 26B Baratza Sette 270)
284g of filtered water
94 degrees Celsius
1) After pouring both the coffee and the water, stir the coffee 10 times. I suggest you use a bamboo stirrer. Avoid sharp objects.
2) Screw the press and let steep for 4 minutes
3) Press slowly, if the press gets stuck, just lift the press and try again. It is normal.
4) Serve or seal the lid.
Review: I’m so impressed by the attending coffee roasters, first yesterday with Neru Scuro’s finely-roasted coffee and now with The Underdog from Greece who offers a fresh aroma-rich coffee. The ripe/overripe strawberry flavor is almost inevitable. Really fun!
Vigorous coffee is always nice and just like yesterday. This coffee you want to brew with pour over so it approaches tea in fullness. I would prefer to drink this on my own and not with coffee or food. But nice to try out roasted coffee from Greece, hope I’ll see The Underdog again!
The chocolate I ate was dark chocolate with sea salt.
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.
2 comments on “The Coffeevine January 18 Box – The Underdog Yria” Add yours →
Respect to website author , some wonderful coffee blog.
Thank you so much!