This will be the fourth time I review Gringo Nordic Coffee Roasters. Last time I tried their Ethiopian coffee called Etiopien Suke Organic, it was quite solid!
I’ve always had a soft spot for their design and I really like the squiggly background together with the simple logo. This coffee is from Indonesia and I believe that it will be more honey-like than the last. I also expect that Sumatra Black Honey will deliver a better taste than the last.
First I’ll cup the coffee which means that I’ll try to find different flavors in the coffee. Just to give you as a reader a hint of understanding of what I go through. I’ll also write how to do a cupping. You can read that below:
When I do a cupping I do the following:
1) Grind 11 g coffee in a medium-coarse grind, I’ll remember the coffee’s fragrances now when it is dry to compare with the let grounds later.
2) Pour 180 g of water at a temperature of 93 degrees Celsius.
3) Let it sit for 4 minutes.
4) Stir 3 times and try to find as many scents.
5) Remove all foam that’s formed on the top.
6) Wait for 6 minutes so the coffee cools down and to let the coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, then I’ll take my first slurp with a deep spoon. The idea is that you will spray the coffee inside your mouth. That way you will be able to easily recognize the tones contained in the coffee.
7) Wait for 6 minutes and do the same procedure, the reason behind step 7 is that it’s the most optimal time for tasting coffee. If the coffee is still good after 12-15 minutes, then it is a high-quality coffee!
Sweet molasses with punchy honey notes.
20g coffee coarse grind
300g of filtered water
60g bloom 45 seconds
92 degrees Celsius
1) Pour 60g water for blooming for 45 seconds.
2) 45 seconds in, begin your second pour of 60g of water.
3) 1 minute and 30 seconds in, begin your third pour of 60g of water.
4) 2 minutes and 15 seconds in, begin your fourth pour of 60g of water.
5) 3 minutes in, begin your fifth pour of 60g of water.
6) Stop the dripper at 3 minutes and 30 seconds
*Always rinse the paper filter with filtered hot water, don’t forget to wash the coffee server with clean water afterward, because the taste of the paper might linger.
Sumatra Black Honey was as I thought, better! It’s the same kind of solid, but with sweeter notes which is very good. I wanted an even better coffee, to be honest, it might’ve been unrealistic expectations. However, that’s on me, this coffee will be liked by everyone, that’s a thing I can promise!
I liked the coffee, and I look forward to writing the next review. I know it will be something special so keep your eyes open!
Sumatra Black Honey was a good cup of coffee from Gringo Nordic Coffee Roasters!
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.