Today it’s New Year’s Eve! And I feel a lot of hope in the air for 2021, which’s hopefully the year that will end the pandemic, so let’s at least enjoy the last day of the year with good food, good drinks, and good company.
In this post, I’ll be reviewing a very good coffee from Pennybridge Roasters, which will be the sixth time they get reviewed on Kaffenytt, and I will begin by quoting the introduction of the first review:
“Sometimes you get the chance to try something that’s very close to you, one of them for me is coffee and something else is my hometown. This post will combine them both; my hometown Örebro and Pennybridge Roasters. In other words, this is very special to me!”
This coffee is really crisp, I know it’s weird to call something liquid for something that has a crispness to it that resembles an apple, but I can’t tell it any better. It has the characteristics of a fresh apple, high sweetness, and a freshness that lingers for a long while! It’s lovely!!!
This is a limited edition from Pennbridge Roasters, and it’s not many boxes left, I would put an order before they’re all out of stock. It’s a coffee you can’t miss from 2020.
First I’ll cup the coffee which means that I’ll try to find different flavors in the coffee. Just to give you as a reader a hint of understanding of what I go through. I’ll also write how to do a cupping. You can read that below:
When I do a cupping I do the following:
1) Grind 11 g coffee in a medium-coarse grind, I’ll remember the coffee’s fragrances now when it is dry to compare with the let grounds later.
2) Pour 180 g of water at a temperature of 93 degrees Celsius.
3) Let it sit for 4 minutes.
4) Stir 3 times and try to find as many scents.
5) Remove all foam that’s formed on the top.
6) Wait for 6 minutes so the coffee cools down and to let the coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, then I’ll take my first slurp with a deep spoon. The idea is that you will spray the coffee inside your mouth. That way you will be able to easily recognize the tones contained in the coffee.
7) Wait for 6 minutes and do the same procedure, the reason behind step 7 is that it’s the most optimal time for tasting coffee. If the coffee is still good after 12-15 minutes, then it is a high-quality coffee!
Fresh apple with high juiciness.
Information and recipe for the coffee:
Variety: Pink Bourbon
Producer: Fina El Progreso
Altitude: 1 700 masl.
20 g coffee (grind setting 26B at Baratza Sette 270, medium)
300 g filtered water
70 g blooming 45 seconds
92 degrees Celsius
1) Pour 70g water for blooming for 45 seconds.
2) 45 seconds in, begin your second pour of 50g of water.
3) 1 minute and 30 seconds in, begin your third pour of 60g of water.
4) 2 minutes and 15 seconds in, begin your fourth pour of 60g of water.
5) 3 minutes in, begin your fifth pour of 60g of water.
6) Stop the dripper at 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
*Always rinse the paper filter with filtered hot water, don’t forget to wash the coffee server with clean water afterward, because the taste of the paper might linger.
This is an exceptional coffee that will be cherished by every coffee enthusiast, it’s very light but it will hit you with a sharpness that will linger for a long while. It’s extremely good with water afterward.
The recipe I’ve used is to enhance the acidic side of the coffee, since it’s very sweet I like to balance it out even more. This makes the coffee greater for my profile and I think you should try it out like my recipe first and tweak it after your liking, it will be great.
That’s all for this year! A merry Christmas and a happy new year from yours truly at kaffenytt.
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.