It was extremely long since I reviewed a coffee from Slöinge Kafferosteri, or rather 2017-11-17. In my opinion, Slöinge Kafferosteri belongs to the specialty coffee elite in Sweden. In recent years, my preferences have moved to Panama as a favorite country for coffee cultivation. Just coffee from Elida Estate happens to be my personal favorite, usually, I buy it roasted from Budhas Kafferosteri (which will be reviewed soon!).
Information and recipe for the coffee:
17g coffee (grind setting on 20B Baratza Sette 270, medium-coarse)
225g of filtered water
40g bloom 30 seconds
91 degrees Celsius
1) 40 g blooming for 30 seconds, stir with a bamboo stirrer to get all of the coffee wet.
2) 105 g of water in a circular flow (this including 40 g of water blooming). This including 30 seconds of blooming should be on in 1 minute and 05 seconds
3) 120 g of water in a circular route that ends with a flow (approx. 10-15 g) on edge. The total brewing time of 1 minute, 45-50 seconds.
Espro Travel Press:
19g coffee (grind setting 26B at Baratza Sette 270)
284g of filtered water
94 degrees Celsius
1) After pouring both the coffee and the water, stir the coffee 10 times. I suggest you use a bamboo stirrer. Avoid sharp objects.
2) Screw the press and let steep for 4 minutes
3) Press slowly, if the press gets stuck, just lift the press and try again. It is normal.
4) Serve or seal the lid.
Review: I will start the review by saying that Slöinge Kafferosteri – Panama Elida Estate is the best coffee I’ve reviewed in 2018, I will explain in more detail below.
Yellow Catuai from Elida Estate has an incredibly delicious flavor of cacao nibs, it will remind you very much of South American dark chocolate if you’ve ever tried it out. The cacao flavor is not as refined and has a more earthy flavor, which in my opinion fits perfectly well with coffee.
As usual, there is a battle between the Hario V60 and the Espro Travel Press. The Hario V60 clearly wins, it produces a cleaner tone and you notice all flavors much better with pour-over than press coffee. The coffee is definitely great as pressed, but you do not notice the nice tones as good. This coffee is an extremely good coffee which suits every coffee drinker. I bought my bag of coffee from Baristashopen.se, if that sounds interesting do not be late and check it out!
To compare them both, pour over is a little more like Coca-Cola (clean and sweet) and Espro is like the Swedish Christmas drink “Julmust”.
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.