This is another trio from Gringo Nordic Coffee Roasters, last time I tried their trio was a Colombian. This time I’m trying out their El Salvadorian, it’s all from the same farm and they have been differently processed. We got one Washed, one White Honey, and one Barrel fermented Honey, and today we’re reviewing the latter one.
This is such a good coffee, I’m very pleased with how sweet it is and that complex flavor that I really love in Nicaraguan coffees can actually be found here. Hints of sweet chocolate can also be found in this coffee. Let’s review what they wrote as their description:
“Sweet, creamy, complex.”
First I’ll cup the coffee which means that I’ll try to find different flavors in the coffee. Just to give you as a reader a hint of understanding of what I go through. I’ll also write how to do a cupping. You can read that below:
When I do a cupping I do the following:
1) Grind 11 g coffee in a medium-coarse grind, I’ll remember the coffee’s fragrances now when it is dry to compare with the let grounds later.
2) Pour 180 g of water at a temperature of 93 degrees Celsius.
3) Let it sit for 4 minutes.
4) Stir 3 times and try to find as many scents.
5) Remove all foam that’s formed on the top.
6) Wait for 6 minutes so the coffee cools down and to let the coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, then I’ll take my first slurp with a deep spoon. The idea is that you will spray the coffee inside your mouth. That way you will be able to easily recognize the tones contained in the coffee.
7) Wait for 6 minutes and do the same procedure, the reason behind step 7 is that it’s the most optimal time for tasting coffee. If the coffee is still good after 12-15 minutes, then it is a high-quality coffee!
Cupping notes for La Fany Glazed:
Sweet, milk chocolate, really complex.
Information and recipe for the coffee La Fany Glazed:
Pour Over for La Fany Glazed:
20 g coffee
300 g filtered water
50 g blooming 45 seconds
92 degrees Celsius
1) Pour 50g water for blooming for 45 seconds.
2) 45 seconds in, begin your second pour of 70g of water.
3) 1 minute and 30 seconds in, begin your third pour of 60g of water.
4) 2 minutes and 15 seconds in, begin your fourth pour of 60g of water.
5) 3 minutes in, begin your fifth pour of 60g of water.
6) Stop the dripper at 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
*Always rinse the paper filter with filtered hot water, don’t forget to wash the coffee server with clean water afterward, because the taste of the paper might linger.
La Fany Glazed Review:
One of the best coffees this year, it’s really sweet and has a lovely complexity to it that I just love when it comes to specialty coffee. If it’s complex it really has to be sweet in my opinion, since it enhances the aroma even more. If it’s too acidic and complex, it’s just weird haha. In this case, it’s so good, you have to try it.
The rating is only based on taste and quality and is not based on price.